I wasn’t sure how to model a swimsuit for the blog. I don’t think I’m confident enough to post pictures of myself in just a swimsuit on the internet just yet. Then, just as I thought I had come up with the answer to the problem however (some alcohol and a wax) Maureen the mannequin (her real name) stepped in to help – after all she’s a mannequin and has no shame. Apart from the fact that she’s about half a foot taller than I am, Maureen and I have very similar measurements. We are differently proportioned within those measurements, but for modelling stretch that isn’t terribly important.
These bathers were a big challenge for me. Firstly when you’re designing and drafting something yourself, you are in charge of figuring out how to put it together. I spent over a week just thinking about how I was going to do this and what the best order of events was. This is where being a former scientist came into its own! I was so used to using this process of visualisation when planning how to make something in the lab as a chemist that this process was just reapplying a skill set I already had.
The other challenge was my college doesn’t have many overlockers so sharing with my classmates meant compromising on thread and needles. This result was that some of the seams are a bit messy due to skipped stitches and the wrong colour thread. On the plus side, these machines feed fabric WAY better than my home machine does so I think this compromise was worth it. I plan to redo these again over the summer when the demand for the equipment at college is much less. I want to source the right needles and take much more care so I have a garment I’d feel comfortable wearing. I also think I will add more gathers to the front of the cups for extra fullness next time.
This is my favourite feature though. The coverstitch binding! Despite that fold in the fabric where I didn’t lay it out properly before photographing, this is close to perfect. You can just see a little bit of white thread poking through on the key hole, that’s it. This effect was tricky to set up but once it’s ready to go, the binding goes on with no bother at all.
I hope to show you some photos in a few months of my second – more careful – attempt at these bathers. Lets just hope for your sake I don’t have to resort to alcohol and wax to show you ;).