This photo was taken on Christmas Day when my partner and I were out on a walk. It was beautiful but bitterly cold, perfect for being swathed in a warm wool/cashmere coat. The fabric for the shell was perfect, super soft and the slight nap on this fabric gave it a lux sheen. It also weathered really well. After a month of heavy use, look at the lack of pilling or wear and tear on an area prone to a lot of rubbing:
An area I was less lucky with however, was the lining.
I knew that this fabric was a bit delicate for a coat lining, but figured I would get at least a season of wear out of it until I had to think about relining the thing. However this is obviously not the case, with the seams getting shredded around the seat, under arms and elbow after just a week of wear. This just goes to show that you shouldn’t always let your heart guide your fabric choice.
The fact that this fabric is so delicate leaves me a bit at a loss for what it would be useful for, as I think it is probably too easily fraying for a dress lining too. Nevermind however, a fabric shopping trip to the amazing Goldhawk Road (a first for me) provided this much sturdier and fairly similar replacement:
I can’t face redoing it now, but it won’t be cold enough to wear this for at least five months, so I have plenty of time to get around to it. I hereby make a pledge though that it WILL be done by the time winter comes around. There I’ve said it and I plan to be a woman of my word.
One other area where things didn’t quite go as planned were my accessories. I paired this coat with a black leather handbag. It turns out that leather dyes can rub off from your accessories onto your light coloured wool garments! I have black residue on a few areas of my lovely coat, including the lapel!!
This really did leave me feeling sad, until I figured I had lots of scraps left over that I could test stain removal techniques on before committing to working on the real thing. The black dye easily came off my bag onto the scrap with a bit of rubbing. I then found that I could get the stain to fade quite easily with a light brushing, which was a relief. I then sprayed the swatch with water and took a scrap of white poplin wrapped around my finger and dipped it in a gentle liquid laundry detergent. The stain was lifted quite easily with a bit of light rubbing and the soap could be soaked out by alternating the water spray and dabbing with a towel. I hope that this is as easy to do on the coat as it was on the scrap, but at least I know that I won’t damage the fabric by trying.
So there was the drama after the first outing of my coat and perhaps also a lesson to others so they can prevent future calamity in their coat making endeavours!