You may remember this wax print from my Port Douglas trip last year. I bought it from a craft market stall on the marina, proving I really can add to my fabric stash just about everywhere I go. I had been saving it up for something special and the Melbourne Frocktails was the perfect event, who better to appreciate it than other sewists.
I made quite a few changes to this pattern, some of them for fit and some a design choice. For fit, I made my usual changes to the shoulder area as well as a full bust adjustment. The back of this was the biggest fit challenge, but I got there eventually through a process of pinching out different wedges of fabric on my toile and eliminating them on the pattern pieces only to do it all over again. As for design changes: I narrowed the shoulders as I found that the original pattern extends out quite far off the shoulders for a sleeveless dress and I shortened the skirt to a mini length.
The printed cotton was an absolute dream to sew with and the print was big enough that I only needed to think a little bit about print placement when cutting. Facing the armholes with bias binding was a bit fiddly, but I think I did a passable job.
In the end the night was amazing. It was great to admire everyone looking smashing in their handmade frocks and to finally meet people I had been following on social media and blogs for a while now. I can’t wait for next years Frocktails event although I have no idea when I’ll get around to sewing something for it. My next few months are going to be busy making up my final college assignment and Frocktails will be mere days after getting back from overseas. Never mind, girl loves a challenge I guess!